Listening to a Podcast
You probably already know this and already have a podcast app on your phone. If so, jump down to the next section.
To download and listen to a podcast, you need an app.
Your iPhone comes with the Apple Podcast app and access to one of the best podcast directories to find new content.
Your Android phone may come with a built-in podcast app, the Google Podcasts app. However, at the time of writing, this Google app (only released in mid 2018) is not great. A better alternative might be the free, open-source AntennaPod app for Android. One key benefit of the AntennaPod app is that it allows you to search multiple different podcast directories, including the Apple list. This makes for a quick and simple discovery process. (If you have a favourite alternative app for podcast listening, do let us know).
Podcast app basics – subscribe, download, listen, delete
A best podcast apps should enable you to:
- Search for podcasts
- ‘Subscribe’ to Podcasts to stay up to date when new episodes are available
- Download new episodes over wifi (without you needing to open the app)
- Delete old episodes automatically (or not, as you require).
You might also want the ability to:
- Import/Export podcast lists (e.g. if you are switching from Apple to Android phones)
- Share podcasts links with others
There are hundreds of podcast apps. You might already have a favorite. If so, stick with it. For most people there is no value in paying for a Podcast app as the free ones above do such a great job.